When I decided to start a blog to chronicle the DIY renovation process of our current house I spent many hours thinking of the perfect name. My previous site was called The Condo Affairs which made sense while we were renovating our condo but I thought the new house deserved a fresh blog with its own name. After all, even from day one, I knew this renovation was going to be epic.
Separate from the blogging process, after we had closed on the house, I begin to envision what our life would look like in our new home. Sadly, with the house in its current state my vision looked more like a college apartment than a beautiful home for Ty and I to share. So, I picked out a few minor projects to complete ASAP. These projects where specifically picked to update the space and make it feel homey without getting into a massive renovation just yet.
We were set to get the keys September 2015. I arbitrarily told myself I would be finished with these minor projects and have all the boxes unpacked by New Year’s Day. I don’t know what made me pick that day and I really have no idea what made me count the actual number of days but from move-in day to New Year’s Day 2016 was, you probably guessed, exactly 100 days.
On January 1st I sat down to write one of the first posts on the new blog and I was astonished at how much I had accomplished in such a short amount of time. In 100 days I managed to turn our ugly outdated 1970’s Pink-Panther-Pink Ranch House into a place we could enjoy while we planned and saved for the “big renovation” that would eventually ensue.
It was a lot of work but I was able to accomplish my goal of turning a once empty box into a home for my family in a short amount of time with a very small budget. At that moment, I knew I was on to something. If I can do it so can you. One can of paint, one dollar, and one day at a time.
And that’s how 100 days to home was born.